TWO-DAY STRIKE CALLED IN MANIPUR OVER CENSUS AND NRC DEMANDS
A two-day general strike has been called across Manipur from midnight on August 17 by the Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD), opposing the start of the Census exercise without prior updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
JFD convenor Jeetendra Ningombam said the organisation had repeatedly urged the state government to complete NRC updation before beginning the Census. He said several protests had already been held, but the government had not acted on the demand.
The group has objected to the planned Census process, including self-enumeration, saying the NRC should be updated first. Ningombam said the demand was intended to protect the interests of indigenous people and future generations.
He also raised concerns over the issue of illegal immigration in Manipur, saying the demand for NRC updation was linked to protecting indigenous interests.
Jeetendra Ningombam said the strike was not intended to inconvenience the public but had been called because of what the group described as continued government inaction. He warned that the agitation could be intensified if there was no response after the two-day strike.
Representatives of civil society organisations from the Naga and Meitei Pangal communities also attended the press conference and expressed support for the strike.
The JFD has continued its campaign for NRC updation before the Census, with fresh protests reported in different parts of Manipur on Monday.